Genesis of Sawhney Foundation
He stood in the midst of desolate bushes of Rangpuri attired in a well-fitting though worn-out black suit during receding summer of Delhi, completely oblivious of the surroundings. There was something magnetic about his persona. He exuded an air of dignity despite his frail frame and advanced age. He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he missed even noticing the noisy small group that had arrived there in cars.
Among the group was Ashok Sawhney who arrived to survey his property. He felt compelled to reach out to the man in black suit. The man taken aback by the politeness and warmth opened up laying bare his travails. He narrated that he was a senior functionary who took very good care of his family as all fathers do. Post retirements his children duped him of all his savings and left him to fend for himself. His wife departed a sad and disillusioned soul. He wandered aimlessly as if carrying the burden of life somehow wanting it to get over quickly! He narrated an Urdu couplet, “jinpe nissar ki thi zamaane ki nehmtain, Oon warrison nain kaffan mujhe kaat kar diya.” (For those I gave my blood and sweat, they gave me even the last cloth to cover my dead body after cutting it).
This had a lasting impact on Ashok Sawhney and he resolved build at the same very property an Old Age Home.
After visiting many old age homes, interacting with NGOs working for the welfare of the old and destitute, a vision to create an Old Age Home started taking shape. Motivation and inspiration form luminaries strengthened his resolve further. Ashok Sawhney donated land and invested his own wealth to create a facility located in a quiet, calm, pollution free peaceful, environment. Special attention was paid to create an atmosphere wherein the senior citizens from different strata of the society feel ‘at home and cared for.’
“I slept and dreamt that life is all joy.
I woke and saw life is all service.
I served and saw that service is joy.”
This belief sustains Sawhney Foundation. Vridhashram, an Old Age home was started in 2015 as its first initiative. Post pandemic, Suman Sawhney Healthcare Centre and Multi-Skill Development centre have been added.
Mission, Values & Vision
Transform social attitudes towards the uncared-for elderly by creating an enabling environment to facilitate a life of dignity in a caring and sensitive atmosphere.
Propagate wellness in the society by providing affordable healthcare and promoting healthy living.
Promote endeavours to create a world where youth lead fulfilling and rewarding lives by becoming self-sufficient and contribute positively to the community.
Sawhney Foundation is a social initiative to empower youth, provide affordable healthcare and wellness to the left-behind and make available dignified living for the uncared elderly in a welcoming and sensitive environment.
The Foundation endeavours are: –
- Vridhashram is a home for abandoned senior citizens. Besides catering for free amenities like boarding, lodging, medical care, premium is placed on providing a decent, dignified life among similarly placed seniors in friendly environment.
- Suman Sawhney Healthcare Centre provides free OPD for all patients. Free diagnostic investigations are made available to those below the poverty line. Investigations for others are available at rates that compare favourably with other service providers.
- Empower youth in association with National Skill Development Council (NSDC) affiliated partners by providing state of the art facilities and a learning friendly environment to conduct National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) aligned courses to make them employable.
- Passion to serve the society with zeal and enthusiasm.
- Respect for fellow beings without prejudice to gender, colour, creed or class.
- Innovation to improve quality of services by imbibing best practices and newer technologies.
- Integrity is the cornerstone and drives intent, purpose and actions. Transparency in dealings and adhering to compliances is a way of working.
- Collaboration with civil society organizations, governments and others who share vision and goals.
Philosophy that Guides Operations
Organize, Execute and Serve in quest for enduring change in the society.